Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blue Birds and Hair

Video of bluebirds and blue hair along the SF Bay trail

Over the years I would occasionally spot Western Bluebirds on sunny afternoons in Miller Knox Regional Shoreline Park in Point Richmond on my frequent walks. However, I had a difficult time consistently locating them. They are small birds–about the size of a sparrow. This winter, I decided to make a concerted effort to locate them and film them. After several hikes, I found a small flock of about eight Bluebirds spending the late afternoon in an off-limits fenced in area between the Ferry Point fishing pier and the picnic area. That is where I was able to get most of the video shots for this movie.

As time went by, I have seen them throughout the entire park. They like semi-open areas and often catch insects flying above the grass or on the ground in the grass. They are very social and seem to be curious about humans who watch them. On my last visit they would perch on picnic tables and nearby tree branches until they saw an insect to catch. They would allow me to get to within 20 feet of them.
I am continually amazed with the immense diversity and beauty of the wildlife that live in the Point Richmond area. I hope you enjoy the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment